The Vaudreuil area was originally owned by Philippe de Rigaud de VAUDREUIL, given to him as a grant in 1703. During his reign, however, it was not developed or used but later on when his successor, Michel Chartier de Lotbinière, took over; he fostered its development and subsequent settlement. Off course, he first had to buy it from the Vaudreuil family which he did in 1763. At the time, the area developed through proceeds from agriculture and fur trade.
Located 50km west of Montreal, this off-island suburb sits opposite PINCOURT Île Perrot on the south shore of Lac des Deux-Montagnes. Vaudreuil-Dorion according to a census carried out in 2006, had a population of 25,789 up from 19,920 in 2001. By 2011, the population had risen to 37,784. As the name suggests, it was formed from merging to towns namely Vaudreuil and Dorion. The town of Vaudreuil, which had initially been named after its first seigneur, had been made a municipality in 1845, before it was to be abolished after 2 years to pave way for a new setup in 1850. It would later on in 1963, become a town after amalgamation with the parish municipality of Saint-Michel-de-Vaudreuil. The other part of the settlement, Dorion was a separate village setup in 1891 and named in honor of Antoine-Aimé DORION, a flamboyant politician at the time of its formation and who succeeded Louis-Joseph Papineau to be leader of the PARTI ROUGE and was known to be a prominent opponent of Confederation. Dorion town status was obtained much earlier in 1916 in relation to its counterpart. Even today, a large area of Vaudreuil-Dorion, a residential suburb in Montreal is under agricultural development. The city is also known a fast growing commercial center in the region. One of the notable trade posts in the city is Maison Trestle, a fur-trading post established in 1798. Under the then founder Jean-Joseph Trestler, the post was among the busiest to the west of Montreal. Housed in an ancient schoolhouse completed in 1859 is the Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges.
Vaudreuil-Dorion is located adjacent to the Lake of Two Mountains on the southern side and at the confluence of the Ottawa and Saint Lawrence Rivers right at the edge of Île Perrot. The city is made up of two non-contiguous parts. The eastern part is the larger of the two parts where the populous centers of Dorion and Vaudreuil are located. The other part lying in the west is a bit smaller and characterized by rural settlements that border Rigaud. The city of Vaudreuil-Dorion has many Islands but not all of them are inhabited. The Islands lie in between the city territorial area and the island of Montreal.
According to a gazette notice published in September of 2013, the population of Vaudreuil-Dorion which was 32,585 at the time was constituted of an immigrant population of 4,670. The breakdown of the different races and ethnic communities represented in this figure is; Indian made up 450, Sri Lankan nationals were 360, inhabitants from the Philippines constituted 325, and Romania national were represented by just 25 inhabitants.
While it does seem like the inhabitants of Vaudreuil-Dorion are well balanced from various parts of the world, there are groups of people who are appear to be conspicuously in the minority. Such is the reality characterized by the 1,815 South Asians, 1,025 Blacks, 515 Filipinos and 485Arabs.
The Canadian city of Vaudreuil-Dorion is predominantly Christian but freedom of worship means that other religions too are free to worship in their own designated areas. There are 22,920 Catholic faithful, 1,080 Muslim believers, 720 Hindus, and 685 Christian Orthodox.
Most the people living in Vaudreuil-Dorion have a lower to upper class lifestyle owing to their levels of income that are better compared to other areas of North America. The median income is $35,427 while the average income stands at $40,563.
On 23 November 1702, Philippe de Vaudreuil, who was the governor of Montreal, was given a seigneur by the then governor of New France, Louis-Hector de Callière. Philippe de Vaudreuil would later become governor of New France from 1703 to 1725. By the time he was leaving office in 1725, the area of Vaudreuil had a population of only 38 inhabitants. It was not until 1742, that people started to show interest in the area and this led to a rise in population. By 1765, the number had risen to 381 and with that came the first infrastructural development project; Grand Trunk Railway. The completion of the railway station led to people living in Dorion, which at the time became known as the Vaudreuil Station. Dorion went on to become a village in 1891.
Running through the middle of Dorion is AutoRoute 20 which not only bisects it but also links Downtown Montreal to Toronto via Highway 401 in Ontario. The Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway links between Montreal and Toronto are located in Dorion. Development of housing units and projects started in the 1950s and would go on up to the 1970s. The period of time between the 1980s and the 1990s, saw the sprouting of housing to the north and east of Dorion.
The great merger of Vaudreuil and Dorion happened in 1994 which gave birth to the city of Vaudreuil-Dorion.